From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1633 - The Roman Catholic Church forces Galileo Galilei to recant his scientific views.
- 1954 - First issue of Potlatch Magazine
- 1954 - Two sixteen-year-old girls, Pauline Parker and Juliet Hulme, murder Parker's mother
- 2001 - Bulger killers to be released
- 1856 - H. Rider Haggard, English author (d. 1925)
- 1900 - Oskar Fischinger, German filmmaker (d. 1967)
- 1903 - John Dillinger, American bank robber (d. 1934)
- 1943 - Gordon Matta-Clark; American artist (d. 1978)
- 1967 - Chris Blackwell founder of Island Records
- 1943 - Eumir Deodato, Brazilian artist, producer and arranger
- 1947 - Octavia Butler, American author (d. 2006)
- 1954 - Jean-Marc Lofficier, French connoisseur of the fantastique.
- 1974 - Darius Milhaud, French composer (d. 1892)
- 1984 - Joseph Losey, American theater and film director (b. 1909)