From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1381 - King Richard II of England meets the leaders of Peasants' Revolt.
- 1648 - Margaret Jones is hanged in Boston for witchcraft in the first such execution for the Massachusetts colony.
- 1822 - Charles Babbage proposes a difference engine in a paper entitled "Note on the application of machinery to the computation of astronomical and mathematical tables."
- 1905 - Battleship Potemkin uprising: Sailors start a mutiny aboard the Battleship Potemkin, denouncing the crimes of autocracy, demanding liberty and an end to war. (See also Eisenstein's film on the subject, The Battleship Potemkin).
- 1940 - Nazi Germany's occupation of Paris, France begins
- 1966 - Abolition of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.
- 1497 - Giovanni Borgia, Duke of Borgia (assassinated)
- 1907 - Adolf Daens, Flemis priest and activist (b. 1839)
- 1920 - Max Weber, German sociologist (b. 1864)
- 1927 - Jerome K. Jerome, British author (b. 1859)
- 1936 - G. K. Chesterton, English author (b. 1874)
- 1986 - Jorge Luis Borges, Argentine writer (b. 1899)