From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1381 - Peasants' Revolt: In England rebels arrive at Blackheath.
- 1964 - American detectives from the Vice Squad raid the printing plant of Evergreen Review carrying off 21,000 unbound copies of No. 32.
- 1760 - Jean-Baptiste Louvet de Couvrai, French writer (Adventures of the Chevalier de Faublas). (b. 1797)
- 1858 - Henry Scott Tuke, British painter best remembered for his paintings of naked boys. (d. 1929)
- 1890 - Egon Schiele, Austrian painter and graphic artist (d. 1918)
- 1892 - Djuna Barnes, American author (d. 1982)
- 1929 - Anne Frank - Jewish writer and Holocaust victim (d. 1945)
- 1948 - Lyn Collins, American vocalist (d. 2005)
- 1933 - Eddie Adams American photographer (d. 2004)
- 1852 - Xavier de Maistre, French writer (b. 1763)
- 1926 - Antoni Gaudí, Spanish architect (b. 1852)
- 1972 - Edmund Wilson, American literary crtic (b. 1895)
- 2006 - György Ligeti, Hungarian composer (b. 1923)