From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1099 - First Crusade: 15,000 starving Christian soldiers march in religious procession around Jerusalem as its Muslim defenders mock them.
- 1497 - Vasco da Gama sets sail on first direct European voyage to India.
- 1898 - The shooting death of crime boss Soapy Smith releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1787 - The Misfortunes of Virtue Sade's first novel completed; it was not published until 1930.
- 1971 - The World of Art Deco
- 1593 - Artemisia Gentileschi, Italian painter (d. 1653)
- 1621 - Jean de la Fontaine, French writer (d. 1695)
- 1857 - Alfred Binet, French psychologist (d. 1911)
- 1882 - Percy Grainger, Australian composer (d. 1961)
- 1885 - Ernst Bloch, German philosopher (d. 1977)
- 1887 - Jean Ray, Belgian writer. (d. 1964)
- 1906 - Philip Johnson, American architect (d. 2005)
- 1908 - Louis Jordan, American saxophonist (d. 1975)
- 1921 - Edgar Morin French philosopher and sociologist
- 1933 - Jeff Nuttall, English writer, (d. 2004)
- 1947 - Jenny Diski, British writer.
- 1726 - John Ker, Scottish spy (b. 1673)
- 1822 - Percy Bysshe Shelley, English poet (b. 1792)
- 1939 - Havelock Ellis, British sexologist (b. 1859)
- 1984 - Brassaï, Hungarian photographer (b. 1899 )
- 2004 - Syreeta American singer-songwriter (b. 1946)