From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1687 – Isaac Newton publishes Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica.
- 1937 – Spam, the luncheon meat, is introduced.
- 1946 – The bikini goes on sale after debuting during an outdoor fashion show at the Piscine Molitor, Paris, France.
- 1954 – The BBC broadcasts its first television news bulletin.
- 1996 – Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal cloned from an adult cell.
- 1810 - P.T. Barnum, American circus owner (d. 1891)
- 1889 - Jean Cocteau, French writer (d. 1963)
- 1849 - William Thomas Stead, English journalist (d. 1912)
- 1833 - Nicéphore Niépce, French inventor (b. 1765)
- 1920 - Max Klinger, German artist (b. 1857)
- 1969 - Walter Gropius, German architect (b. 1883)