From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1692 - Salem witch trials: Five women are hanged for witchcraft in Salem, Massachusetts.
- 1848 - Women's rights: The two day Women's Rights Convention opens in Seneca Falls, New York and the "Bloomers" are introduced at the feminist convention.
- 1870 - Franco-Prussian War: France declares war on Prussia.
- 1937 - Degenerate Art Exhibition opens in Munich, Nazi Germany
- 1938 - Salvador Dali meets Sigmund Freud
- 1834 - Edgar Degas, French painter (d. 1917)
- 1898 - Herbert Marcuse, German-born philosopher (d. 1979)
- 1951 - Abel Ferrara, American filmmaker
- 1960 - Atom Egoyan, Canadian filmmaker
- 1374 - Petrarch, Italian poet (b. 1304)
- 1543 - Lady Mary Boleyn, mistress of King Henry VIII of England
- 1631 - Cesare Cremonini, Italian philosopher (b. 1550)
- 1945 - Heinrich Wölfflin, Swiss art critic (b. 1864)
- 2002 - Alan Lomax, American folksong collector (b. 1915)