From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 180 - Twelve inhabitants of Scillium in North Africa executed for being Christians. This is the earliest record of Christianity in that part of the world.
- 1762 - Catherine II becomes tzar of Russia upon the accidental murder of Peter III of Russia.
- 1791 - Massacre at the Champ de Mars, Paris, during the French Revolution. 1200-1500 people were killed, including women and children.
- 1841 - The first issue of the magazine Punch is published in London
- 1918 - By order of the Bolshevik Party Emperor Nicholas II of Russia, his immediate family, and retainers were murdered.
- 1936 - start of the Spanish Civil War.
- 1898 - Berenice Abbott, American photographer (d. 1991)
- 1921 - Acquanetta Venezuelan actress (d. 2004)
- 1935 - Donald Sutherland, Canadian actor
- 1958 - Wong Kar-wai, Chinese film director
- 1793 - Charlotte Corday, French aristocrat and murderer (guillotined) (b. 1768)
- 1903 - James McNeill Whistler, American artist (b. 1834)
- 1917 - Hector Malot, French writer (b. 1830)
- 1925 - Lovis Corinth, German painter (b. 1858)
- 1959 - Billie Holiday, American singer (b. 1915)
- 1967 - John Coltrane, American musician (b. 1926)
- 2005 - Laurel Aitken, Jamaican singer (b. 1927)
- 2006 - Mickey Spillane, American author (b. 1918)