From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1934 - Production Code enforced in American cinema.
- 1934 - Salvador Dalí performes Fantomes paranoiaques authentiques at the International Surrealist Exhibition
- 1804 - George Sand, French author and early feminist (b. 1876)
- 1892 - James M. Cain, American journalist and novelist. (d. 1977)
- 1934 - Claude Berri, French actor, director and screenwriter.
- 1939 - Karen Black, American actress
- 1896 - Harriet Beecher Stowe, American author (b. 1811)
- 1925 - Erik Satie, French composer (b. 1866)
- 1950 - Eliel Saarinen, Finnish architect (b. 1873)
- 1961 - Louis-Ferdinand Céline, French writer (b. 1894)
- 1983 - Buckminster Fuller, American architect and philosopher (b. 1903)
- 2003 - Herbie Mann, American jazz flutist (b. 1930)
- 2004 - Marlon Brando, American actor (b. 1924)