From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Jock Sturges (born 1947) is an American photographer, best known for his images of adolescents, often taken nude. His work, often taken on the nude beaches of California and France, has been the subject of controversy.
Sturges was born in New York City, and worked in San Francisco for many years. He graduated with a BFA in Perceptual Psychology and photography from Marlboro College in 1974, and received an MFA in photography from the San Francisco Art Institute in 1985. He now resides in Seattle, Washington.
Body of work
Sturges' primarily shot in naturist colonies in Northern California and in France. Much of his work revolves around Misty Dawn, whom he shot nude from when she was a young child until in her twenties.
His published collections include:
- The Last Day of Summer (1991, Aperture, NY) ISBN 0-89381-538-1
- Radiant Identities (1994, Aperture, NY)
- Evolution of Grace (1994, Gakken, Tokyo)
- Jock Sturges (1996, Scalo, Zürich)
- Jock Sturges: New Work, 1996-2000 (2000, Scalo, Zürich)
- Jock Sturges: Twenty-Five Years (2004, Paul Cava Fine Art, Bala Cynwyd, PA)
- Jock Sturges: Notes (2004, Aperture, NY)
- Misty Dawn Portrait of a Muse (2008, Aperture, NY)
- Jock Sturges Life Time (2008 Steidl)
Other noted publications include:
- Montage (Graham Webb International)
- Standing on Water (1991, Catalogue of Portfolio published by Paul Cava Fine Art, Philadelphia)
- Jock Sturges Color (Catalogue of Portfolio published by Ataraxia, Bensalem)
- Line of Beauty and Grace (2007 Amadelio Films)Documentary
Limited Edition Portfolios of Original Photographs:
- Standing On Water (Paul Cava Fine Art, 1991, boxed portolio of ten oversized 20x24 inch gelatin silver photographs)
- Jock Sturges: Twenty-Five Years (Paul Cava Fine Art, 2004, boxed portolio of ten 11x14 inch gelatin silver photographs)
- Jock Sturges Platinum Edition of 10 signature platinum photographs (Russell Levin Gallery Monterey California 2007)