From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1546 - Having published nothing for eleven years, Francois Rabelais publishes the Tiers Livre, his sequel to Gargantua and Pantagruel.
- 1656 - Blaise Pascal publishes the first of his Lettres provinciales.
- 1962 - French release of François Truffaut's New Wave film Jules et Jim.
- 1986 - The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts its first members.
- 1744 - Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher and historian (b. 1668)
- 1783 - Stendhal, French writer (d. 1842)
- 1832 - Edouard Manet, French artist (d. 1883)
- 1888 - Leadbelly, American blues and folk musician (d. 1949)
- 1898 - Sergei Eisenstein, Russian film director (d. 1948)
- 1910 - Django Reinhardt, Belgian guitarist (d. 1953)
- 1915 - Potter Stewart, U.S. Supreme Court Justice (d. 1985)
- 1928 - Jeanne Moreau, French actress
- 1938 - Georg Baselitz, German painter and sculptor
- 1939 - Sonny Chiba, Japanese actor and martial artist
- 1940 - Areski Belkacem, French composer, musician, actor and singer.
- 1944 - Rutger Hauer, Dutch actor
- 1722 - Henri de Boulainvilliers, French writer and historian, noted for his theories on race (b. 1658)
- 1789 - John Cleland, English novelist (b. 1709)
- 1866 - Thomas Love Peacock, English satirist (b. 1785)
- 1883 - Gustave Doré, French artist, engraver, and illustrator (b. 1832)
- 1889 - Alexandre Cabanel, French painter (b. 1823)
- 1923 - Max Nordau, Austrian author, philosopher, and Zionist leader (b. 1849)
- 1944 - Edvard Munch, Norwegian painter (b. 1863)
- 1947 - Pierre Bonnard, French painter and printmaker (b. 1867)
- 1960 - Wolfgang Kayser, German literary theorist (The Grotesque in Art and Literature) (b. 1906)
- 1986 - Joseph Beuys, German artist (b. 1921)
- 1989 - Salvador Dalí, Catalan artist (b. 1904)
- 1991 - Northrop Frye, Canadian literary critic(Anatomy of Criticism) (b. 1912)
- 1999 - Joe D'Amato, Italian director (Black Emmanuelle) (b. 1936)
- 2002 - Pierre Bourdieu, French sociologist (b. 1930)
- 2002 - Robert Nozick, American philosopher (b. 1938)
- 2004 - Helmut Newton, German-born photographer (b. 1920)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 23" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.