From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- date unknown -Art's Birthday
- 1605 - First publication of Don Quixote.
- 1904 - Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard premieres in Moscow.
- 1956 - Allen Ginsberg writes his poem "America".
- 1429/1433 - Antonio del Pollaiolo, Italian painter, sculptor, engraver and goldsmith (d. 1498)
- 1798 - Auguste Comte, French sociologist (d. 1857)
- 1880 - Mack Sennett, Canadian film director (d. 1960)
- 1885 - Sakae Osugi, radical Japanese individualist and anarchist. (d. 1923)
- 1902 - Leonid Trauberg, Russian-Jewish director and screenwriter (New Babylon) (d. 1990)
- 1920 - Georges Pichard, French comics artist, (d. 2003)
- 1926 - Robert Filliou, French Fluxus artist (d. 1987)
- 1933 - Dalida, French singer (d. 1987)
- 1934 - Donald Cammell, Scottish film director (Performance)(d. 1996)
- 1949 - Andy Kaufman, American comedian (d. 1984)
- 1952 - Ryuichi Sakamoto, Japanese musician
- 1962 - Jim Carrey, Canadian actor and comedian
- 1966 - Shabba Ranks, Jamaican singer
- 1969 - Lukas Moodysson, Swedish film writer and director
- 1975 - Tom Jenkinson, English musician (Squarepusher)
- 1861 - Lola Montez, Irish-born adventurer (b. 1821)
- 1933 - Louis Comfort Tiffany, American artist and designer (b. 1848)
- 2001 - Gregory Corso, American poet (b. 1930)
- 2002 - Harvey Matusow, American communist (b. 1926)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 17" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.