International Style (architecture)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The International style was a major architectural style of the 1920s and 1930s. The term usually refers to the buildings and architects of the formative decades of Modernism, before World War II. These building largely consist of concrete, glass and steel and are sometimes derogatively called glass boxes.
The term had its origin from the name of a book by Henry-Russell Hitchcock and Philip Johnson written to record the International Exhibition of Modern Architecture held at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City in 1932 which identified, categorised and expanded upon characteristics common to Modernism across the world.
The 1932 MOMA exhibition
Important buildings in the 1932 MOMA exhibition include:
- Alvar Aalto: Turun Sanomat building, Turku, Finland 1930
- Le Corbusier & Pierre Jeanneret: Stein house, Garches, Near St. Cloud 1928
- Le Corbusier & Pierre Jeanneret: Villa Savoye, Poissy-Sur-Seine 1930
- Le Corbusier & Pierre Jeanneret: De Beistegui Pent House, Champs-Élysées, Paris 1931
- Otto Eisler: Double House, Brno, Czechoslovakia 1926
- Walter Gropius: Bauhaus School, Dessau, Germany 1926
- Walter Gropius: City Employment Office, Dessau, Germany 1928
- Erich Mendelsohn: Schocken Department Store, Chemnitz, Germany 1928-1930
- Mies Van Der Rohe: Apartment House, Weissenhof Siedlung, Stuttgart 1927
- Mies Van Der Rohe: German pavilion at the Barcelona Exposition, Spain 1929
- Mies Van Der Rohe: Tugendhat House, Brno, Czechoslovakia 1930
- Jacobus Oud: Workers Houses,(Seidlung, Kiefhoek), Hook of Holland 1924-1927
- Karl Schneider: Kunstverein, Humburg, Germany 1930
- Weissenhof Estate
- Södra Ängby (1933-1939), Stockholm, Sweden
- Villa Savoye (1929), Poissy-sur-Seine, France, by Le Corbusier
- Hickory Cluster townhouses by Charles M. Goodman, Reston, Virginia
- Glaspaleis (1933), Heerlen (by Frits Peutz)
- Carl Mackley Houses (1933-1934), Philadelphia, by Oscar Stonorov and Alfred Kastner
- E-1027 (1929), Cap Martin, France, by Eileen Gray
- Toronto-Dominion Centre (1967), Toronto, by Mies van der Rohe
- Royal Corinthian Yacht Club (1931), by Joseph Emberton.
- Labworth Café (1932-33), by Ove Arup.