Heroin in film
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The 1996 Danny Boyle film Trainspotting, based on the book by Irvine Welsh, depicts heroin users in the areas around Edinburgh in Scotland. Other movies that deal with heroin users include the 1955 Frank Sinatra film The Man with the Golden Arm; the 1971 Al Pacino film, Panic in Needle Park; the 2000 film Requiem for a Dream; and More.
- Sid and Nancy directed by Alex Cox
- Naked Lunch directed by David Cronenberg
- Trainspotting directed by Danny Boyle
- Pulp Fiction directed by Quentin Tarantino
- Requiem for a Dream directed by Darren Aronofsky
- Darren Aronosfky's 2000 film Requiem for a Dream depicts the lives of a group of heroin addicts and the devastating results of their addiction.
- The film Trainspotting, based on the book of the same name, revolves around a group of heroin users and the attempts of one of the group's efforts to quit.
- The film RENT (2005), based on the musical by Jonathan Larson, includes a character, mimi who struggles with a heroin addiction and has contracted AIDS from her usage.
- The film Candy starring Heath Ledger focused on a couple very much in love and destroyed by heroin addiction.
- Party Monster, a movie based on James St. James' true tales of New York City club kids in the late 1980s, shows an extreme use of heroin and other drugs such as ketamine (Special K) and cocaine.
- The Film "Gia" based on a true story of model Gia Carangi is about her addiction and use of heroin and how it affected her.
- The film "Christiane F." portraying the troubles of young heroin users in Berlin.
- The film "Things We Lost in the Fire", deals with Benicio del Toro's character's struggle to get clean.
- In the T.V. show Lost, Charlie Pace is a heroin addict. Also, Mr. Eko is hired to smuggle drugs out of Nigeria but the plane crashes on the island.
- Around the Block (2009). Heroin, cocaine and marijuana.
- Bad Lieutenant (1992). Cocaine, crack, heroin.
- The Basketball Diaries (1995). Heroin, cocaine, and solvents.
- Candy (2006). Heroin and marijuana.
- Casino (1995). Cocaine, heroin and painkillers.
- Christiane F. – Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo (1981). Heroin.
- Dream Seller (2007). Heroin.
- The French Connection (1971). Heroin and cocaine.
- From Hell (2001). Opium and heroin.
- Georgia (1995). Heroin.
- Gia (1998). Heroin and cocaine.
- The Godfather (1972). Cocaine and heroin.
- The Godfather: Part II (1974). Cocaine and heroin.
- The Godfather: Part III (1990). Cocaine and heroin.
- Gridlock'd (1997). Heroin.
- Jesus' Son (1999). Heroin, tranquilizers.
- The Last Minute (2001). Heroin.
- Liquid Sky (1982). Heroin.
- Little Fish (2005). Heroin.
- Little Miss Sunshine (2006). Heroin.
- More (1969). Heroin.
- Naked Lunch (1991). Heroin.
- The Panic in Needle Park (1971). Heroin.
- Permanent Midnight (1998). Heroin and cocaine.
- Pulp Fiction (1994). Cocaine, heroin and marijuana.
- Ray (2004). Heroin and marijuana.
- Requiem for a Dream (2000). Heroin, amphetamines and marijuana.
- Rush (1991). Heroin.
- Scarface (1983). Cocaine and heroin.
- Sid and Nancy (1986). Heroin.
- Traffic (2000). Cocaine and heroin.
- Trainspotting (1996). Heroin, marijuana and amphetamines.
- Wasted (2002). Heroin.