From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Black Emanuelle (It. Emanuelle nera) is an Italian softcore film from 1975, the first in a series made to cash in on the success of the French film Emmanuelle, which was released the year before. Like that film, it was followed by a long string of official and unofficial sequels.
Black Emanuelle films
These films center around the Emanuelle character, played by Laura Gemser (except where noted).
- Black Emanuelle (1975), directed by Bitto Albertini.
- Black Emanuelle 2 (1976), directed by Bitto Albertini, starring Sharon Leslie.
- Emanuelle in Bangkok (1976), directed by Joe D'Amato.
- Emanuelle in America (1977), directed by Joe D'Amato.
- Sister Emanuelle (1977), directed by Giuseppe Vari
- Emanuelle Around the World (1977), directed by Joe D'Amato.
- Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals (1977), directed by Joe D'Amato.
- Emanuelle and the White Slave Trade (1978), directed by Joe D'Amato.
- Violenza in un carcere femminile (1982 aka. Caged Women, aka. Violence in a Women's Prison, aka. Emanuelle in Hell, aka. Emanuelle Reports from a Women's Prison), directed by Bruno Mattei.
- Emanuelle fuga dall'inferno (1983 aka. Emanuelle Escapes from Hell), directed by Bruno Mattei.
These are films that star Laura Gemser as a character other than Black Emanuelle but that have, at one point or another, been promoted as Emanuelle films. The name of her character has often been changed to Emanuelle in the English dubbing of the films.
- La Spiaggia del desiderio (aka. Emmanuelle on Taboo Island, 1976)
- Velluto nero (aka. Black Emmanuelle, White Emmanuelle, dir: Brunello Rondi, 1976)
- L'Infermiera di campagna (aka. Emanuelle in the Country, dir: Mario Bianchi, 1978)
- Mavri Emmanouella (aka. Emanuelle: Queen of Sados, dir: Elia Milonakos, 1979)
- Die Todesgöttin des Liebescamps (aka. Divine Emanuelle, dir: Christian Anders, 1981)
- La Belva dalle calda pelle (aka. Emanuelle: Queen of the Desert, dir: Bruno Fontana, 1982)
- Emanuelle is spelled with one m. The french films, and the book by Emmanuelle Arsan were spelled with two m:s.
- The movie Emanuelle in America contains a controversial scene where a naked woman masturbates a horse.
- Uncut versions of several Black Emanuelle films contain scenes depicting actual penetration. Also Emanuelle nera (1975) has a hardcore scene with Laura Gemser. However, this scene is with hardcore inserts.