From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The electronic drum usually consists of a set of pads mounted on a stand in a disposition similar to an acoustic drum kit. The pads are discs with a rubber or cloth-like coating. Each pad has a sensor which generates an electric signal when struck. The electric signal is transmitted through cables into an electronic module, which produces a sound associated to the selected pad.
Artists who use electronic drums
- Tim Alexander (Primus)
- Rick Allen of Def Leppard 1985–present: after losing his left arm, Allen used a customized kit built by Simmons (electronic drum company), but has since modified his drums.
- Nicholas Barker (Dimmu Borgir)
- Travis Barker on a Plus 44 album
- Rob Bourdon of Linkin Park uses two Pintech pads on the left of his kit, with different snare sounds triggered.
- Bill Bruford in (King Crimson) and (ABWH)
- Warren Cann (Ultravox) An electronic percussion pioneer who made extensive use of the instruments on the albums Vienna, Rage in Eden, Quartet, and Lament.
- Igor Cavalera (Sepultura)
- Rick Colaluca (Watchtower) (Only toms)
- Hal Blaine session drummer Pollard Syndrum
- Colm Ó Cíosóig (My Bloody Valentine) on the Loveless album.
- Phil Collins (Genesis) – Simmons kit on Genesis and Invisible Touch albums
- Sly Dunbar An extremely prolific Jamaican reggae drummer and producer. He frequently used an electric drum set while playing with the band Black Uhuru.
- Mickey Dolenz: During the Monkees' mid 1990s reunion tour
- Stuart Elliott (The Alan Parsons Project) – Simmons kit
- Tats Faustino
- Doll Factory
- Wolfgang Flur, Karl Bartos (Kraftwerk), built their own manual electronic drum kit.
- Bud Gaugh – sublime- dub effects
- Rocky Gray (Evanescence) – Wirges kit
- Alex Van Halen Prominently used on the5150 album and tour. Alex has since gone back to acoustic drums.
- Malcolm Holmes (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) On his first Top of the Pops TV performance in 1980 he performed 'standing up' playing an electronic drum kit.
- Peter Hook, New Order's former bass guitarist
- Rogerio Jardim – Infected Mushroom
- Akira Jimbo
- Jean-Michel Jarre
- David Kennedy (Angels & Airwaves) on Angels & Airwaves 2008 Tour.
- Osamu Kitajima
- Da Kurlzz (Hollywood Undead) He uses electronic drums in every live show and on the album Swan Songs
- Marina (of the Fresh Beat Band)
- Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)
- Joseph San Mateo (Kairos)
- Keith Moon (The Who) Pollard Syndrum
- Jay Moore (Primal State) – Reality Resistant EP
- Stephen Morris (New Order & Joy Division)
- Alan Myers (Devo) – Synare drum pads
- Nadeem-Shravan (Bollywood Composer Duo) who rocked the 1990s with their Music. They extensively Used Combination of Electronic Drums with Conga Drums.
- Neil Peart (Rush) – currently uses both electronic and acoustic drums in his live solos
- Carl Palmer of Emerson, Lake & Palmer in the 1973 album Brain Salad Surgery, on the song "Toccata".
- Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater – triggered kick, snare, and toms used on Images and Words)
- Dan Pearson (Ganga Giri)
- Christoph Schneider (Rammstein) – Hybryd Drum set During Herzeleid and Sehnsucht era
- Bill Rieflin (Ministry, Revolting Cocks, KMFDM & R.E.M.)
- Sean Reinert (Cynic)
- Ryuichi Sakamoto (Yellow Magic Orchestra)
- Jez Strode (Kajagoogoo)
- Roger Taylor – Queen
- Matt Tong of Bloc Party He uses electronic drums on the track Compliments from the 2005 album Silent Alarm.
- Yukihiro Takahashi (Yellow Magic Orchestra)
- Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa)
- Alan Wilder (Depeche Mode)
- Gary Wallis – Pink Floyd, Mike & The Mechanics, Shiller, Il Divo
- Alan White of Yes
- [Peter J Shaw (Johnny Mars Band)]