Deaths in 2012
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- Lina Romay, 57, Spanish actress.
- Mike Scaccia, 47, American musician,
- José Bénazéraf, 90, French film director and producer.
- Fontella Bass, 72, American singer ("Rescue Me"), complications from a heart attack.
- Ravi Shankar, 92, Indian musician.
- Oscar Niemeyer, 104, Brazilian architect, respiratory infection.
- Dave Brubeck, 91, American jazz pianist, heart failure.
- Pete Namlook, 51, German producer and composer, unknown causes.
- Gae Aulenti, 84, Italian architect and designer.
- Terry Callier, 67, American singer-songwriter.
- Jacques Barzun, 104, French-born American historian.
- Sylvia Kristel, 60, Dutch actress (Emmanuelle), model and singer, throat and liver cancer.
- Kōji Wakamatsu, 76, Japanese film director, traffic collision.
- Eric Hobsbawm, 95, British historian.
- Joe South, 72, American singer-songwriter ("Down in the Boondocks", "Games People Play", "Hush", "Rose Garden"). heart failure.
- Neil Armstrong, 82, American astronaut, first person to set foot upon the Moon, complications from heart surgery.
- Carlo Rambaldi, 86, Italian special effects artist (Alien, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial).
- Mel Stuart, 83, American film director (If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium; Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory), cancer.
- Ranking Trevor, 60, Jamaican reggae musician, traffic collision.
- Gore Vidal, 86, American playwright, novelist, and political commentator, pneumonia.
- Chris Marker, 91, French writer, photographer, documentary film director and multimedia artist.
- Gerrit Komrij, 68, Dutch writer, cancer.
- Andrew Sarris, 83, American film critic.
- Susan Tyrrell, 67, American actress (Cry-Baby, Fat City, Forbidden Zone).
- Rodney King, 47, American victim of 1991 police brutality incident.
- Ray Bradbury, 91, American science fiction and fantasy author (Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles).
- Robin Gibb, 62, British singer and songwriter (Bee Gees), colon and liver cancer.
- Donna Summer, 63, American disco singer ("Hot Stuff", "Last Dance", "I Feel Love"), lung cancer.
- Carlos Fuentes, 83, Mexican novelist.
- Vidal Sassoon, 84, British hairstylist.
- Adam Yauch, 47, American musician (Beastie Boys) and film director (Gunnin' for That No. 1 Spot), cancer.
- Amos Vogel, 91, Austrian-born American founder of the New York Film Festival and Cinema 16.
- Hilton Kramer, 84, American art critic.
- Jean Giraud, 73, French comic book artist (Blueberry, Métal Hurlant) and production designer (Tron, Alien).
- Winston Riley, 65, Jamaican reggae musician and producer, complications of shooting.
- Dory Previn, 86, American singer-songwriter (Mythical Kings and Iguanas) and lyricist (Valley of the Dolls, Last Tango in Paris).
- Whitney Houston, 48, American singer and actress.
- Ben Gazzara, 81, American actor (Tales of Ordinary Madness), pancreatic cancer.
- Zalman King, 69, American film director (Wild Orchid) and producer (9½ Weeks).
- Mike Kelley, 57, American artist and musician (Destroy All Monsters), suicide. (body found on this date)
- Dorothea Tanning, 101, American surrealist painter, printmaker and sculptor.
- King Stitt, 71, Jamaican singer.
- Etta James, 73, American singer ("At Last"), leukemia.
- Johnny Otis, 90, American R&B singer-songwriter.
- Jimmy Castor, 64, American funk and R&B saxophonist ("Troglodyte (Cave Man)").
- Eve Arnold, 99, American photographer.
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "Deaths in 2012" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.