From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Mehdi was born of Tunisian background in Hauts-de-Seine, the northwestern suburbs of Paris. He was a former disc jockey of the groups Different Teep (ex-group of Manu Key & Lil Jahson), Ideal J and former member of the collective the Mafia K'1 Fry. He was also a long time the quasi-appointed producer of the group 113 and carried out the nearly all the production of the albums for Different Teep and Karlito. Amid his work, Mehdi had remixed various electronic acts and composition soundtracks for many French and international films.
Being recognized for his efforts and budding into one of the French underground hip hop music scene’s premier producers, since then he has pushed the boundaries by mixing hip hop and electronic music. Collaboration with such notable artists of the likes of Daft Punk, Cassius, MC Solaar, Futura 2000, Asian Dub Foundation and Chromeo among others. “Coming from a rap music background, it’s always nice to collaborate within other music genres…Paris is very inspiring because a lot of people are making great stuff, music and in other arts related fields also. My music and philosophies revolve around beats and blues, that’s how I would try to describe it.”
Signing to cross-genre label Ed Banger Records, Mehdi and Pedro Winter (aka Busy P) were working on various disco-hop sounds the two as far back as 1997. Together they hosted a very successful monthly night at former Paris nightspot Pulp. “I like to be the DJ, I love it so much. I love to try new things. You would never get into this business to be bored, or you would hope not.”
Mehdi released his first full-length LP in 2002 The Story of Espion, followed by his second album, Lucky Boy, in August 2006. With the popularity of cross genre hip hop into such areas as indie and electronic music, popularization by Timbaland and other labels from the United States in more recent years had assisted to bridge the gap between dance genres.
Mehdi's single "I Am Somebody" was used in a 2007 American commercial for XM radio. More recently, DJ Mehdi has been part of a group of friends and DJ's collectively known as "Club 75" which includes Cassius, Busy P and Xavier de Rosnay (Justice). He launched a project together with Riton in 2010 that’s called "Carte Blanche".
Mehdi was married to well-known French artist and model Fafi.
On 13 September 2011 according to DJMag, he was on the roof of his home in Paris with a group of friends celebrating the birthday of Riton. Mehdi received a fatal injury and three others were hospitalized after the roof collapsed.
- Ideal J
- Original Mc's Sur Une MIssion (1996)
- Le Combat Continue (1998)
- Ni barreaux, ni barrières, ni frontières (1998)
- Les Princes De La Ville (1999)
- Fout La Merde (2002)
- Contenu Sous Pression (2001)
- Cocoa Butter Diaries (2009)
- Solo work
- The Story Of Espion (2002)
- Des Friandises Pour Ta Bouche (2005)
- Lucky Boy (2006)
- Lucky Boy at Night (2007)
- "Wonderbra" ("Paradisiaque", Mc Solaar) (1997)
- "Classik" / "Au Fond De Mon Cœur" / "Esclave 2000" ("Touche D'Espoir", Assassin) (2000)
- "A L'Anciene" / "Les Points Sur Les I Remix" ("Les Points Sur Les I", Intouchable) (2000)
- "Le Ssem" / "Le Jeu de La Mort" ("La Vie Avant La Mort", Rohff) (2001)
- "Couleur Ebène" ("Ouest Side", Booba) (2006)
- "I am Somebody" ("I am Somebody", DJ Mehdi, real: So_Me) (2007)
- "Signatune" (2007)
- 1997 Koma - "Realite Rap" (DJ Mehdi RMX)
- 1998 113 - "Les Evadés" (Remix)
- 1999 Cassius - "Feeling for You" (Cambridge Circus Mix)
- 2000 Joakim Lone Octet - "Oleg Dans Les Bois" (DJ Mehdi Remix)
- 2000 Manu Key - "Si Tu Savais" (Remix)
- 2001 Akhenaton - "K (AKH)" (DJ Mehdi Remix/DJ Mehdi Instrumental Remix)
- 2002 Next Evidence - "Dance On" (DJ Mehdi Remix/DJ Mehdi's Dub)
- 2002 Etienne de Crécy - "Out of My Hands" (DJ Mehdi Remix)
- 2003 Asian Dub Foundation - "Fortress Europe" (Techno Organisation Remix)
- 2004 Wayne Shorter - "Footprints" (Dub aka DJ Mehdi Remix)
- 2006 Architecture in Helsinki - "In Case We Die"
- 2006 New Young Pony Club - "Ice Cream" (DJ Mehdi Remix)
- 2007 Outlines- "Just a Lil' Lovin" (album)
- 2008 Sam Sparro - "21st Century Life"" (DJ Mehdi Secret Disco Dub)
- 2009 Erol Alkan & Boys Noize - "Death Suite" (DJ Mehdi's Simple Acid Edit)
- 2009 Miike Snow - "Burial" (DJ Mehdi Remix)
- 2009 Miike Snow - ANDY FING P.
- 2010 Zombie Nation - Overshoot (DJ Mehdi Remix)