From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- brood parasite
- "Hototogisu" is the Japanese word for cuckoo, a bird which apparently in Japanese culture is a symbol of the netherworld - an infernal bird, a spook with wings.
- Any of various birds, of the family Cuculidae, famous for laying its eggs in the nests of other species; but especially Cuculus canorus that has a characteristic two-note call
- The sound of that particular bird.
- The bird shaped figure found in Swiss/German clocks (cuckoo clocks) or the clock itself.
- Someone found where they shouldn't be (used especially in the phrase 'A cuckoo in the nest'.)
- Someone who is crazy.