From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Cormac McCarthy, born Charles McCarthy, born July 20th, 1933 in Providence, Rhode Island, is an American novelist who has authored ten novels in the Southern Gothic, western, and post-apocalyptic genres. He has also written plays and screenplays.
Literary critic Harold Bloom has named him as one of the four major American novelists of his time, along with Thomas Pynchon, Don DeLillo, and Philip Roth. He is frequently compared by modern reviewers to William Faulkner and sometimes to Herman Melville.
Film and television adaptations
- The Gardener's Son was part of a series for PBS and aired in January 1977. McCarthy wrote the screenplay upon request for director Richard Pearce.
- In 2000, McCarthy's novel All the Pretty Horses was made into a film directed by Billy Bob Thornton, starring Matt Damon and Penélope Cruz.
- McCarthy's 2005 novel No Country for Old Men was adapted into a 2007 Academy Award-winning film directed by the Coen Brothers and starring Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem.
- A film based on the novel The Road began development in 2007. John Hillcoat directed this adaptation by Joe Penhall. The leading roles include Viggo Mortensen as the father, Kodi Smit-McPhee as the boy, Charlize Theron as the wife, and Robert Duvall as the old man. The film opened on November 25, 2009 to mostly positive reviews.
- An adaptation of McCarthy's 2006 play The Sunset Limited aired on HBO in February 2011. It stars Tommy Lee Jones (who also directs) and Samuel L. Jackson.
- A film adaptation of Blood Meridian has been rumored for years. The names of James Franco, Todd Field, and Scott Rudin have been connected to the project, which has fallen through at least twice.
- The Orchard Keeper (1965) ISBN 0-679-72872-4
- Outer Dark (1968) ISBN 0-679-72873-2
- Child of God (1973) ISBN 0-679-72874-0
- Suttree (1979) ISBN 0-679-73632-8
- Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West (1985) ISBN 0-679-72875-9
- All the Pretty Horses (1992) ISBN 0-679-74439-8
- The Crossing (1994) ISBN 0-679-76084-9
- Cities of the Plain (1998) ISBN 0-679-74719-2
- No Country for Old Men (2005) ISBN 0-375-70667-4
- The Road (2006) ISBN 0-307-38789-5
- The Passenger (forthcoming)