From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Celebration is a census-designated place (CDP) and a master-planned community in Osceola County, Florida, United States, near Walt Disney World Resort. It was developed by The Walt Disney Company. Celebration is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,736 at the 2000 census.
A road called World Drive connects Celebration directly to the WDW parks and resorts; the north end of World Drive begins near the Magic Kingdom and its south end connects to Celebration Boulevard, allowing Celebration residents and guests to drive to Disney property without having to use any busy thoroughfares.
With the rising population, Disney has divested most of its control over Celebration in the years since it founded the town, although several Disney business units occupy the town's office buildings. Smart City Telcom and Reedy Creek Energy Services, both originating and operating from Walt Disney World, provide services to the town. Smart City has contracts for all of the wiring in the town, which has produced some controversy with other communication companies because of the restrictions of what services they can provide, as well as their inhibition to new cables and fiber-optics to be run.
- Chipper Jones Third baseman for the Atlanta Braves
- Jasmine Becket-Griffith – artist
- Robert Gamez – professional golfer
- Angie Martin – President, The Martin Agency, Inc.
- Dave Melillo – bass player for the band Cute Is What We Aim For
- Silvio Santos – Brazilian television host
- Adam Vinatieri – Indianapolis Colts placekicker; four-time Super Bowl Champion
- Jorge Ben Jor – Brazilian popular musician