From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Born Brigitte Lucille Janine Van Meerhaegue in Tourcoing, France, she began her career at the age of 20 performing in pornographic films from 1976 through 1980.
In 1980, having become a kind of idol of the French adult film industry's golden age, she decided to put an end to her hardcore career and appeared in more "traditional" movies and "big" productions, such as I comme Icare (Henri Verneuil, 1980) in which she played a stripper, and in Pour la peau d'un flic (Alain Delon, 1981) in which she played a nurse. However, she also made some softcore and Nazi exploitation "video nasties" during this time.
She also tried to become a singer, with the single Caresse tendresse, without any commercial success or even professional appreciation.
She is now the host, on RMC Info, of the daily show « Lahaie, l'Amour et Vous », from 14:00 to 16:00, which is mostly dealing with essential topics of human and sexual relations.
She currently is also a hostess on a French X-rated TV cable-channel talk show.
Brigitte Lahaie is also known for an unwavering interest in equestrianism, born when she saw the movie White Mane while a teenager.
A Partial Filmography
- Parties fines : This is Gérard Kikoïne's first movie, the one that "launched" Brigitte Lahaie's career.
- Belles d'un soir is a cult movie gathering 3 of the most famous 70's actresses : Brigitte Lahaie, Véronique Maugarsky and Martine Grimaud.
- Parties de chasse en Sologne made a huge profit in the end of the 70's
- Je suis à prendre : A cult on the French X-rated scene.
- La clinique des phantasmes : This production from Gérard Kikoïne featuring fetish action and voyeur scenes with dazzling actresses made a hype when it was released in 1981.
- La Rabatteuse : Released in 1978.
- Les petites écolières (feat. Marylin Jess): This is the most famous movie from Frédéric Lansac and was Brigitte Lahaie's last X-rated flick.
- Henry & June: This is most notable English language movie she has appeared in. She plays a bit part of a prostitute.
- Faceless (aka Les Prédateurs De La Nuit - 1988) directed by cult filmmaker Jess Franco.
- She starred in at least five films directed by Jean Rollin, Fascination, The Grapes of Death (aka Les Raisins de la Mort), La Nuit des Traquées, Les Deux Orphelines Vampires and La Fiancée de Dracula.
- Moi, la scandaleuse (1989) (autobiography)
- La femme modèle (1991) (novel)
- Le sens de la vie (novel)