From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- To sexually produce offspring.
- Of animals, to mate.
- To keep animals and have them reproduce in a way that improves the next generation’s qualities.
- To arrange the mating of specific animals.
- She wanted to breed her cow to the neighbor's registered bull.
- To propagate or grow plants trying to give them certain qualities.
- He tries to breed blue roses.
- To make sure that one's young grow up to adulthood.
- To yield or result in.
- Disaster breeds famine.