Boulevard de Clichy  

From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Related e

Wikipedia
Wiktionary
Shop


Featured:

Kunstformen der Natur (1904) by Ernst Haeckel
Enlarge
Kunstformen der Natur (1904) by Ernst Haeckel

The Boulevard de Clichy, which lends its name to the Place de Clichy, resulted from the fusion, in 1864, of the roads that paralleled the Wall of the Farmers-General, both inside and out. It extends from the Place de Clichy to the Rue des Martyrs, nearly a kilometre away. During its tenure, the street has been known as the Boulevard des Martyrs, then the Boulevard Pigalle, and, finally, the Boulevard de Clichy. It is equally well-known as the Boulevard Clichy.

Notable buildings on the Boulevard de Clichy

  • No. 6, Boulevard de Clichy: The painter, Edgar Degas, lived here; he also died on the fifth floor of this house, in 1917, aged 83.
  • No. 11: This house was occupied by Théophile Delcassé, for many years the French Foreign Minister, and it was also the rented quarters of many artists, among them Pablo Picasso in 1909.
  • No. 12: This was the pied-à-terre, in 1910, of the painter, Francis Tattegrain.
  • No. 18, Boulevard Pigalle: Here, the American painter, James Abbott McNeill Whistler, executed the portrait of Joanna Hiffernan, a painting known as La Fille Blanche, during the winter of 1861-1862.
  • No. 36: Now the Paris headquarters of the Lebanese comedy troupe, the Théâtre de Dix-Heures, this building was the home of Honoré Daumier, the characaturist and painter, from 1869 to 1873.
  • No. 54: This is the site of two old and much-missed cabarets, Le Ciel (Heaven) and Enfer (Hell).
  • No. 65: The painter, Jean-Léon Gérôme, established his studio here and died at work in 1904; later, it became the location of the Jules Ferry lycée (secondary school).
  • No. 68: This is the second, and ultimate, home of the old cabaret, Le Chat noir (The Black Cat), which originally opened around the corner at 84 Boulevard Rouchechouart. This place was much-esteemed for its excellent (and surprising) entertainments.
  • No. 82: Beginning in 1889, this is where the Moulin-Rouge (Red Windmill), the home of the can-can, opened its doors. It was founded by Joseph Oller.
  • No. 100: Now the Théâtre des Deux Ânes (Two Donkeys Theatre), this building was once the cabaret known as the Cabaret des Truands (Cabaret of Truants).




Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "Boulevard de Clichy" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.

Personal tools