From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1820 - The Venus de Milo is discovered.
- 1867 - The first World's Fair is inaugurated in Paris.
- 1966 - Death of God as pronounced (with question mark) by American Time magazine.
- 1990 - Twin Peaks aired for the first time in the United States
- 2007 - ArtandPopularCulture.com founded
- 1692 - Giuseppe Tartini, Italian composer (d. 1770)
- 1859 - Edmund Husserl, Austrian philosopher (d. 1938)
- 1872 - Iwan Bloch, German sexologist (d. 1922)
- 1892 - Mary Pickford, Canadian actress (d. 1979)
- 1892 - Richard Neutra, American architect (d. 1970)
- 1926 - Jean-Jacques Pauvert, French publisher
- 1929 - Jacques Brel, Belgian singer/composer (d. 1978)
- 1941 - Vivienne Westwood, English fashion designer
- 1942 - Douglas Trumbull, American film director
- 1944 - Odd Nerdrum, Norwegian painter
- 1950 - Vaslav Nijinsky, Polish-born ballet dancer (b. 1890)
- 1973 - Pablo Picasso, Spanish artist (b. 1881)
- 1998 - Anatole Dauman, French film producer (b. 1925)
- 2006 - Gerard Reve, Dutch writer (b. 1923)