Académie royale de peinture et de sculpture
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
The Académie royale de peinture et de sculpture (Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture), Paris, was an art academy founded in 1648, modelled on Italian examples, such as the Accademia di San Luca in Rome.
In 1661, it came under the control of Jean-Baptiste Colbert who made the arts a main part in the glorification of Louis XIV. From 1683 on, it reached its greatest power under the directorship of Charles Le Brun with its hierarchy of members and strict system of education.
On August 8, 1793, it was suspended by the revolutionary National Convention, when the latter decreed the abolition of "toutes les académies et sociétés littéraires patentées ou dotées par la Nation".
It was later renamed Académie de peinture et de sculpture.
In 1816, it was merged with the Académie de musique (Academy of Music, founded in 1669) and the Académie d'architecture (Academy of Architecture, founded in 1671), to form the Académie des beaux-arts, one of the five academies of the Institut de France.
Partial list of members
- Abraham Bosse (1648)
- Herman van Swanevelt (1651)
- Jean Jouvenet (1675)
- Antoine Coysevox (1676)
- Nicolas de Largillière (1686)
- Roger de Piles (1699)
- Guillaume Coustou the Elder (1704)
- Jean Raoux (1717)
- Jean-Baptiste Pater (1728)
- François Boucher (1731)
- Charles-André van Loo (1735)
- Charles-Amédée-Philippe van Loo (1747)
- Jean-Baptiste Huet (1769)
- Jacques Louis David (1780)
- Adélaïde Labille-Guiard (1783)
- Marie Louise Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun (1783)
- Jean-Baptiste Stouf (1785)
- Dominique Vivant (1787)
- Jean-Baptiste Pigalle