From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
(Redirected from 1955 in music)
Art and culture
- The DS (also known as Déesse, or Goddess, after the punning initials in French) was a model of Citroen automobile manufactured and sold between 1955 and 1975. The DS is characterized by long, smooth, fluid body lines, a hydraulic suspension system, front-wheel drive, and a large, preternaturally comfortable interior.
- American cinema: from grindhouse to arthouse
- Grindhouse moves giddily through the decades, passing from '30s "road to ruin" pix to the '40s burlesque and dope films, and into the '50s, when grindhouses became "art houses." The two strains collided in 1955 when huckster Kroger Babb bought the U.S. rights to Ingmar Bergman's Summer with Monika. -- Gary Morris, http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/18/18_grind.html
- Summer with Monika is released as a skin flick in the United States
- Garden of Eden
- Night and Fog
- The Night of the Hunter (1955) - Charles Laughton
- Kiss Me Deadly (1955) - Robert Aldrich
- "Tutti Frutti (song)"
- "Maybellene" by Chuck Berry
- "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & His Comets
- José Ortega y Gasset (1883 - 1955) -
- Robert Warshow (1917 - 1955)