From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- Paris Salon of 1865 opens in May
- Manet's Olympia did not depict a goddess or an odalisque, but a high-class prostitute waiting for a client. The classic work that most closely resembles Manet's in character is Francisco Goya's La Maja Desnuda (c. 1800).
- Le Ministère de la Marine by Charles Meryon
- Proudhon and his children by Gustave Courbet
- Rosine à sa toilette by Antoine Wiertz
- Alice in Wonderland (1865) - Lewis Carroll - From the Earth to the Moon (1865) - Jules Verne
- Introduction to the Study of Experimental Medicine