From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- Rotary press invented in the United States by Richard M. Hoe)
- Gustave Courbet, Self-Portrait as a Desperate Man;
- "Chirographer" (1843), Sir Charles Wheatstone's telegraphic printers
- 1843: Massachusetts repeals its 138 year old antimiscegenation law.
- 1843: Hungarian physician Heinrich Kaan publishes his report
- "Slavery's Pleasant Homes" (1843)
- Les Mystères de Paris (10 vols., 1842-1843)
- "The Tell-Tale Heart" (1843) - Edgar Allan
- Either/Or by Kierkegaard
- Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard
- Repetition by Kierkegaard
- In 1843 French literary critic Sainte-Beuve wrote that Byron and Sade "are perhaps the two greatest inspirations of our moderns, the first openly and visibly, the second clandestinely, but not very.
- Richard Carlile (1790-1843)