From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
(Redirected from 16 June)
Art and culture
- 1816 - Lord Byron, John Polidori and the Shelleys read aloud from the Tales of the Dead, a collection of horror tales, also called Fantasmagoriana.
- 1904 - setting of James Joyce's Ulysses
- 1936 - André Breton delivers the Limites non Frontières du Surréalisme speech at the London International Surrealist Exhibition
- 1960 - Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho opens in New York.
- 1970 - After the death of his wife Louis Aragon comes out as a bisexual, appearing at gay pride parades in a pink convertible.
- 1997 - Kenneth Goldsmith uses a dictaphone to note as much of as many of his body's movements as he can.
- 1313 - Giovanni Boccaccio, Italian writer (d. 1375)
- 1901 - Henri Lefebvre, French philosopher (d. 1991)
- 1925 - Otto Muehl, Austrian artist
- 1938 - Joyce Carol Oates, American novelist
- 1957 - Raymond Pettibon, American artist
- 1962 - Femi Kuti, Nigerian Afrobeat Musician
- 1464 - Roger van der Weyden, Flemish painter (b. 1399)
- 1938 - Robert Wiene, German film director (b. 1873)
- 2003 - Enrico Baj, Italian artist (b. 1924)